A preliminary study on macro-litter pollution on beaches along Aïn El Turk Bay

Main Article Content

Fatma Zohra HADDAD Ahlem Amina TALEB BENDIAB Noureddine BENAISSA Lotfi BENSAHLA-TALET Ahmed HAMOU Alexandru DIMACHE

Abstract


Marine anthropogenic litter is one of the most important environmental problems that affect directly and indirectly all marine ecosystems.A lot of efforts are made to reduce the litter pollution in oceans, and, in this way, to reduce their negative effects on the marine biota. This study providesinformation about the quantities of marine litter found on 10 beaches situated along the occidental coast of Algeria. A total of 14537 items were collectedthroughout Aïn El Turk beaches. From this litter, 93% were plastics and the remaining 7% were represented by rubber, glass and metal. The results highlighta heterogeneous distribution along the coastal beaches, with higher concentrations at some beaches rather than others, as well as the west coast, whichseems more affected compared to the east coast. We notify that the litter has the tendency to accumulate in the upper levels of the beach, which confirmsthat these beaches are exposed to litter from land-based sources rather than from maritime activities.

Article Details

How to Cite
HADDAD, Fatma Zohra et al. A preliminary study on macro-litter pollution on beaches along Aïn El Turk Bay. Geo-Eco-Marina, [S.l.], v. 27, p. 83-89, dec. 2021. ISSN 1224-6808. Available at: <https://journal.geoecomar.ro/geo-eco-marina/article/view/04_2021>. Date accessed: 27 sep. 2022. doi: https://doi.org/10.5281/5779786.
Section
Articles